Basic spaghetti sauce
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 sweet peppers any colour, chopped
- 3 carrots chopped
- 3 to matoes chopped
- 2 small cans tomato paste
- 1 can vegetable juice cocktail
- 2 tablespoons crushed chili peppers
- black pepper
- In large pot, cook the beef first (no need to add butter or oil). Add the onion, then the peppers, carrots and tomatoes.When the meat has a uniform colour, add the tomato paste, stir.
- Add the vegetable juice and stir. Season to taste and add crushed chili pepper.
- Simmer for an hour, stirring regularly to avoid scorching at the bottom of the pan.
- This is a very general guideline, quantities can vary as do ingredients: you can add celery, olives, mushrooms, sausages, garlic, anything goes.
This sauce can be frozen.